Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Public Service Announcement...Mosquitos are Bad!

Okay, yesterday started my first day off of 3. I woke Elijah up and notice he's got a couple mosquito bites on his head and his eye lid is red. No big deal...Beau had a bite too (my boys get bit if there is one mosquito in a 3 mile radius). I put him down a few hours later for his morning nap, when I wake him up at lunch his eye is more red and a little puffy...a few hours later I give him some benadryl and put him down for his afternoon nap and when I wake him up he's even worse. Before we go to the gym at 5p I take these pics...

He doesn't seem to care about his eye at all, but it looks bad to me. I give him more benadryl at bedtime and put him to bed. He is up most of the night coughing and whining (he's had a cough/cold for about 2 days now - stated Monday night). I get up at 4:45 to give him a bottle since he's still whining and this is what I see.

(these pics were taken when he woke up at 9a.)

Yes, his eye is swollen shut! It looks awful. I immediately call the Dr's office and get an appointment for 10a. Elijah still doesn't care, though. His balance is a little off - try walking around with one eye shut, but other than that he's fine, just a little cough and sneezy. If any of you know me at all you know I don't do eyes. Anything else I can do, but not eyes, so we went to the dr.
Let me tell you the Dr's office was horrible. I was incredibly humbled. We walked in and all the parents try really hard not to stare as they pull their children close to them - stay away from the boy that just walked in - I sign us in and put Elijah down to play. A boy leans over to his mom and whispers "Mom, what's wrong with that boy?" I turn to the whole room and say, "he got bit by a mosquito, its not contagious" Elijah goes on playing, non of the kids even notice (children are so sweet and innocent) but the parents all stare as they walk in and I have to tell them its not contagious before they will let their kids play with Elijah. Now, I am used to hearing "oh what a beautiful boy" "wow, he is so cute". Non of that today. It was really humbling.

The doctor walks in (btw Elijah gained about 1/2 a lb so we're at 22.6 pounds!) and said, "wow, I'd hate to see the other guy". I tell the Dr he has to fix Elijah because I can't handle eyes. I say he looks like that Hunchback of Notre Dame! check out the uncanny resemblance...
So, we've been calling him Quasi all day! The dr looked in his ears and he has an ear infection! He said its unrelated, but a good thing we came in for the eye because the ear is bad. We had to get some antibiotics which will hopefully make sure nothing happens with the eye as well, but I'm just supposed to give benadryl around the clock and wait for it to go away. Poor baby. I just want to cry every time I see my little Quasimodo. Beau says he's now on a mission to eradicate all mosquitos since they did this to his boy! Better go...I hear Quasi waking up.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Poor little guy! What a good kid for being like "Huge eye swollen shut? Huh, big deal." Hope it gets better soon for his and your sake!

Anonymous said...

Tell Beau he can't go playing baseball with the kid until he is a little older! I guess it is true what they say about injuries bothering the parents more than the kid. At least it did not put a damper on his day!!!
Amy B.