Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Our week so far

He looks so grown up!






















Okay, I blogged on Monday and since then:

Tuesday,

I had to work (ugh) I dream of the day I'm able to stay home with my boy and all the other siblings we hope to add to the family. It wasn't a bad day, though. Well, most of it was until about 5pm. I walked in to my patient's room after her visitors left and she asked if she could ask me a personal question. Gearing up to answer a question about her that she was embarrassed to ask me I said okay (thinking in my head how smart I would look when I answer well). She says, "How old are you?" In my head, "oh crap, she is going to think I'm too young to be her nurse, she doesn't even know I'm the Charge Nurse today" Out loud, "25" In my head, "and that's old enough lady!" She says, "oh, well my grandson wanted to know so he could decide if he could work up the courage to ask you out, he thinks you're really pretty" In my head, "I still got it!" Out loud, "oh really? How sweet" She says, "But I see you're engaged" (I don't have a wedding band, I get tired of explaining that no bands look good with my ring and I like my ring just the way it is) I say, "actually I'm married and my baby just turned one on Sunday" She says, "oh I'll have to tell my grandson, he'll be so disappointed, he wants to be a Radiologist" In my head, "hmmm, I could stay home with my children if I were married to a Radiologist" Out loud, "oh well, it was sweet of him" Then I leave.
I get another patient out of the OR at 6:15pm and after I get her settled in its time for me to leave. She starts yelling "I'm hurting, I'm hurting" I take a deep breathe, "ma'am do you need some pain medicine" Side note: I say this loud enough that the oncoming nurse can hear me, but she makes no moves to let me leave and do it herself. Patient says "yes, I'm dying, I'm dying" I lean down to her and say, "You're not dying today, now calm down and I'll get you the pain medicine" While I'm drawing up the morphine she is yelling that she's going to throw up. I run and get more nausea medicine. I have them both ready to give and realize her IV is no good. In my head, "I am going to kill those OR people tomorrow!" I yell over my "dying" patient for a IV start kit and get it. I wrap on the tourniquet and see that she's got little bitty 88 year old lady veins. Everyone is standing around watching me. In my head, "This is not going to look good when the Charge Nurse can't start an IV" You see, on my unit we don't start IV's because they come to us with great big ones so I haven't started an IV in many moons. BUT I get it!! Tada! Erica saves the day. I give the Morphine and Zofran, stand up, push out my chest and say, "now that's how its done by Super Nurse" In my head, "whew! I am so glad I got that!"
I go home feeling really good about myself. I tell Beau what I just told you and he says "how old was the grandson?" I say, "why does that matter?" He says "just tell me" I say, "I think he was 19" This makes Beau laugh and he makes fun of me. My chest deflates and I sulk off saying, "he said I was pretty!"

Wednesday,

Not as good as Tuesday, I had to work and toward the end of the day I feel that pain in my throat that tells me I'm getting sick. I start sneezing and by the time I get home I feel terrible.

Thursday,

I feel horrible, but Elijah has his one year check up. They weigh him, 20.9 lbs (only 15th %), measure him: 30 inches (51st %) and they measure his head: 19 inches (91st %). Our medium height, skinny boy with a giant Sputnik head got 3 SHOTS!!! OUCH! But good news I'm going to go get a new big boy car seat and some whole milk. No more stinking formula!! Beau took the boy back to work with him so I can have some Erica time since he is going fishing tomorrow. Just my luck, I'm sick for Erica time! And I've wasted 30 minutes of it writing all this! I'm going to go greet my couch now and make sure the TV still works.

No comments: