Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our Latest Adventure

Well, as most of you know Ike is coming our way. Whether we get a direct hit or just the "dirty side" (both bad) we won't know till tomorrow. As a nurse I am not allowed to evacuate if my hospital is open. Well, we have a new CEO who thinks this storm is going to be "no big deal" and wants "business as usual". I'm guessing he's not from here because they are comparing it to the Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 and I guess he's not been to the Strand to watch the movie. He also has not seemed to notice/care that all the surrounding hospitals have evacuated. Oh well. By Monday he'll either be able to say "I told you so" or he could possibly be looking for other employment. The good thing though is any hospital that makes nurses mandatory (if you call in sick or don't show during the hurricane it is grounds for immediate termination) they also have to make provisions for your family and pets.

After trying to talk Beau into taking Elijah and Max and going to Rosebud (he wouldn't budge, I guess if we float away we float away together) we will be taking up residence at the hospital. If you remember Beau and I did this 3 years ago with Rita. We were fine, the hospital fed us 3 meals a day, gave us a room to stay in and I get paid just for being there. However, this time should be interesting since we have introduced a toddler into the mix. I called the hospital today to get a little more info. Max will be in the Concrete Room (basement) in his cage and there will be staff there with all the animals constantly. Beau, Elijah and I will have somewhere to sleep and they are attempting to establish a Day Care for the children which Beau may help with. We will be taking food and water with us just in case, but where else better to be during a disaster than a hospital right!?

Thank you for all your calls to check on us. Beau is still boarding up the windows and securing everything outside. If I have access to Internet I will update you and if our cell phones work some of you may hear from us. Please keep us in your prayers a long with everyone else who will be touched by this storm.

3 comments:

Aimee Scogin said...

Ok, I have a bone to pick with you. Apparently, I need to buy Elijah some clothes. In all the pictures on your blog, Elijah is only wearing a diaper... including his one year birthday picture. The pictures in which he is wearing clothes, I TOOK! :)

Aimee

bunnytrails said...

Thanks for the update. We have definitely been thinking about you! love you!

bunnytrails said...

I hope all is well with you and your fam. Anxiously awaiting your next blog so we can hear more about your adventure. Been praying for you guys.