Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mommy to the rescue!!

After church today Beau said he wanted to go out to lunch. I had planned on cooking lunch, but he said he was too hungry to wait. (That happens when you have to be the very last ones to leave church) Anyway, we went to Las Flores (Mexican, how did you know?) We were enjoying our chips and salsa. Elijah, not wanting to be left out, wanted to dip his chips in the salsa too. We would let him get a little taste, he would then start coughing and rubbing his tongue until we made him get a drink. He was well on his way to enjoying the spicier side of life that Beau and I love so much.

A few minutes later our waitress brought our food and I was busy fixing Elijah's plate. I'm not sure if I saw something out of the corner of my eye or if my Momdar was just alarming, but I looked at Elijah. He was choking and wasn't making a sound (for those of you who may not know, if someone is choking, but making noise they can still breath and may just need a minute to "cough it up". However if they go into the "ugly choke" where there is no noise and a panicked face its go time). I jumped up, pulled Elijah out of his chair and had him upside down in one fail swoop. I pounded on his back a couple times, still no output, I swept my finger thru his mouth and plopped out a hug ball of chewed up chip onto the floor. I pulled him upright and he started crying. The elderly couple at the next table was cheering and the wife was clapping. It took a few minutes to get Elijah calmed down and back in his chair. It took even longer before I could pick up my fork (my arms felt weak).

Beau, who had sat back down was just starring at me (read: Starry Steve, 2 posts back) in awe of my quick thinking and sharp skills. I do have to admit, I had never had to give anyone the Heimlich and definitely didn't want my own child to be the first, but oh well. When you work at the job I have you need to be able to preform under pressure and quickly, but it took more time for me to recover when it was my baby in my arms.

On a lighter note:

Many of you have already witnessed this, but Elijah (who refuses to count to 3 in English) is now counting to 4, regularly, in Spanish. I'm wondering how long I can chalk this up to pure brilliance on his part and not too much tv. I promise you he doesn't watch more than 2 shows a day (and they're really short). However, I do limit his tv time to educational tv such as Diego which is obviously where he learned "uno, dos, res, watro". I will try to get it on video for you to see for yourselves. Camera cord should arrive tomorrow. Hope you've enjoyed our family stories.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Oh goodness how terrifying!! Well-done with the quick thinking. Heidi almost did that once but the food flew out as I was turning her upside down. That panicking purple face is not a face I care to see her make ever again!