Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I don't think you get it...now get out!

Funny story...

During these days of orientation I've been spending my lunch breaks up in the Post-Partum Lactation Room to pump. When I walked in today there was a guy around my age sitting in one of the recliners charting. I quickly noticed his badge said he was a Clinical Instructor from MCC (the junior college) and the room was filled with purses and bags (nursing students' stuff). He looked up and said "Oh do you need the room?" This is how the conversation went...

Me: "Yes, I do."

Him: "Oh you're teaching a class?"

Me: "No, I'm pumping"

Him: "You're teaching some one?"

At this point I realize he's confused because I'm wearing navy scrubs and that's what the nurses wear.

Me: "No, I need to pump myself"

Him: "You're doing it for some one else?"

WHAT!? Now I realize he's dense...I better just spell it out for him

Me: "No. I'm going to pump my own breasts to get my own milk to give to my own baby at home!"

He's still sitting there. So I take off my jacket and start putting my pump together. I say,
"I don't care if you stay, but it might make you uncomfortable"

Him: "Oh, you're going to be covered?"

Me: "Nope, I'm going to stand at the window with my stuff hanging out for all the parking lot to see!"

He quickly gathers his stuff and rushes out.

Him: "How long does this take?"

Me: "About 10 minutes"

A few minutes later a group of students walk in (3 girls) to get their stuff. I don't mind. Then I hear him come to the door and say, "Students, you need to get out so that lady can pump her breast!"

Ha! I just started laughing. The girls just stand there starring at me. I don't think they knew what I was doing (I was covered, I decided not to stand at the window). I told them they didn't have to leave, it didn't bother me. They left anyway.

A minute later I hear some commotion at the door. 2 more girls walk in. One drops her clipboard and says "Oh, sorry, I hope I didn't wake the baby." Then the other student says, "I don't think the baby is sleeping if its eating!" (I'm going to assume they don't do well on their assessment testing)

Wow!

I say, "Its not a baby, its a pump!"

Student #2 says, "Oh, our instructor said you were in here breastfeeding.

This is the future of our nurses.

As I was leaving I saw the guy at the nurse's station. He wouldn't make eye contact. Gave me a laugh though!!

3 comments:

Katy said...

That's hilarious what an idiot.

billy and stephanie said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing! I needed a laugh!

bunnytrails said...

You just made my day!! i can just hear you saying those things. Can't wait to see all of you in a couple of weeks. Think of somewhere really good to go eat after the game or before. WE still don't know what time the game will be!!