Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, July 28, 2008

How I met your mother...

I was recently asked how Beau and I met by some one who reads the blog. I thought if one person cared more people might. Its a cute story so I just said I would post it. I have a little free time while Elijah is napping so here goes...

I was 20, in school at ACU and just took a new job working at Texas Roadhouse. I had broken up with a pretty serious boyfriend a few months before and was determined that I wasn't going to date anyone seriously for a while. I had the next few years planned out. I would graduate from nursing school, move to Ft Worth, work at Cook's Children's, find a doctor to marry, then have babies and be a housewife. (Not exactly what God had planned)

I had been working at Roadhouse for about a week and it was Saturday night. It was going to be my first night to waitress off orientation - I would be flying solo on the busiest night of the week. About halfway into my shift I got a four-top (for those of you who have never waited it means a table with 4 people - even waitstaff have fancy lingo). It was 2 guys and 2 girls (an obvious double date). I passed out my coasters, introduced myself and asked what I could get them to drink. When I looked up one of the guys was staring at me with mouth open. I had never been starred at like that so I new it had to be something like a giant booger or my pants unzipped. But they weren't laughing. I took every one's drink orders (even Starry Steve's) and left. When I came back to take dinner orders he was starring again. Now I figured it wasn't me, it was just him - maybe he had a vision problem. When I got to him he asked, "I don't know what I should get. What would you order? The fish or a steak?" I said, "Well, this is a steakhouse so I would go with the steak". So that's what he ordered. After their food came out I asked if everything looked good. Starry Steve asked for ketsup. I went and got it. A few mins later he called me over and asked for more rolls - they had a full basket. I was annoyed because I was so busy and got his rolls thinking he was either giving me a hard time or he rides the short bus. Not 5 minutes later he called me over and asked for more tea. I kept coming back and fulfilling all his little tasks, then brought them the ticket. After they paid and were on their way out they had to pass by where I was standing putting in another order on the computer. I thanked them and according to Starry Steve, I winked. Now if you know me I wink a lot, to anyone, its a habit. So I didn't think anything of it. They left. Weeks later I found out from Starry Steve's roommate he said on the way out to the car, "I'm gonna date that girl".

The following Monday night I was at Club (the Christian School term for Sorority) and we were practicing for Sing Song (a huge, annual, ACU musical). Our "brother club" was coming over and we were going to preform our parts for each other. They showed up, they were going first. I sat down and was chatting with friends. They all got in their spots to start. I looked up and there was Starry Steve!! We both pointed at each other and mentioned Texas Roadhouse. Throughout the performance I was thinking "this guy is pretty cute, maybe I'll talk to him afterwards". After everyone was done I walked around looking for him. We finally found each other. We stood and talked until they turned off the lights and made us go outside, then we stood outside and talked until everyone was gone and we were just standing in the dark, empty parking lot. I gave him my number and went back to the dorm.

The next day in my Sign Language class I told some of my friends about Starry Steve (whose name turned out to be Beau Ballard). They laughed and mocked me saying they thought I wasn't dating anyone serious and mentioned my 5 yr plan. I told them I would make this deal...if he took me out to eat and asked to pray before eating I would just ask him to marry me and it would all be over.

By the end of the week Sing Song was here and our clubs were together the whole time backstage (down the hall in the gym). On the night of dress rehearsal (Thursday) he came up to me at the beginning of the night and asked if I wanted to go out for dinner after the show. I said sure. The show wasn't over until after 11. He asked if I still wanted to go out and I wanted to so he said the only place open that late was Whataburger. So we went there and I ordered a Toquito and he got a BOB. When they printed our receipt it said "1201 am 2/14/02 Happy Valentines Day!" We sat down and talked, they brought us our food. I started unwrapping mine to eat and he said, "I don't want to sound corny, I know we're just at Whataburger, but would you mind if we prayed before we ate?" I said, "sure, will you marry me?" His mouth dropped open, he stuttered and said "okay, when?" I asked if next Tuesday was open for him. He said he'd check his calendar and then he prayed.

Three weeks later he told me he loved me.

Four months after that he asked me to marry him.

One year later we were married.

3.5 years later we had our first child.

and here we are today. I am truly blessed.

I hope you enjoyed our story, I always do.

1 comment:

Teacher4ever said...

I love this story!!! Arent' you glad I asked you at lunch the other day...lol!
Hey, go look at this website... I really think you ought to get it for Elijah! He was the first one I thought of when I saw it on tv... the website is
www.yourbabycanread.com
He's so smart... I could see him doing this!