Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camp Bandina

Well, as you know I got talked into going to Camp Bandina with Beau and the Youth Group last week as Camp Nurse. It was a long week. It was really hard and some parts of it were quite stressful, but it definitely could have been worse. I had a really nice cabin and my own Mule (Kawasaki - not a horse). There were about 200 campers and counselors. A large number of kids took prescription drugs multiple times a day plus I handed out a ton of band aids, went thru a bottle of 100 Ibuprofen and a bottle of Benadryl, a dozen ice packs and half a bottle of peroxide. The kids showed up at 7:30 am for meds and came consistently all day until after 11pm. There were a few times I couldn't even leave the cabin to go eat in the cafeteria. I couldn't take a nap because either my own kids were up or people were coming in. Then at night I never could sleep well because I would be nervous some one was going to come in or need help and I couldn't hear them ring the bell.

I had this thought when I agreed to go, that I would come back from camp tanned and about 10 lbs lighter. That's usually what happens when you go to camp. Not this time. I hardly even saw the sun. I couldn't be out of the cabin unless I was at the cafeteria. On top of that I didn't walk more than a few feet at a time. I had to drive the Mule everywhere. I could probably have thrown a rock and hit the cafeteria, but I had both kids, a big box of meds and Sadie's Bumbo chair so I took the Mule. Then, to top it off, they served big meals 3 times a day with whole milk for breakfast and dessert with lunch and dinner. I am not one to turn down dessert, but by the end of the week (when I could hear myself getting fatter) I passed. I was forced to drink the melted ice cream for breakfast, though, since its the only kind they had. So I came back from camp even pastier and fatter than before.

If I ever say I'm thinking of becoming a school nurse please remind me of this week. I need some action. By the end of the week I lost all hope of action. A kid came hobbling up to the cabin while I sat on the porch reading a magazine. He said, "I sliced my toe, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need stitches". I glance up, see that there is not a massive amount of blood, point inside and say "Shower's in the back, go wash it off, you don't need stitches" Then he came back out and showed me his toe (still covered in dirt). I said, "Did you wash it off?" "Yes" "Then why is it still black, is that what it always looks like? Go back and wash it off more" Then I put a band aid on and went back to reading my magazine.
Some of the most interesting points of the week:
1. Removed a lip ring that was becoming infected.
2. Had a counselor's arm swell up from a bee sting (never stung before). I got all excited and thought I might get to use my EpiPen. I asked if he was having any trouble breathing...nope...too bad.
3. A kid came in off the football field, conversation as follows:

Kid: I need some alcohol and a cu tip.
Me: I'm going to need to know why.
Kid: Well, while I was playing football my earring fell out and I didn't want the hole to grow back together and no one had an earring I could use so I stuck a twig in it.
Me: (In my head: You MORON, your whole isn't going to grow back together during a 20 min football game)
Moron: Now I'm starting to think that wasn't such a good idea.
Me: (In my head: I want to know exactly when that occurred to you.)
Moron: So can I have some alcohol?
Me: (In my head: Peroxide would hurt less) "Sure" (that can be his punishment for being so stupid!)

4. A kid came in (who has epilepsy) and said he had one of his headaches that almost always ends in a seizure. Now we're talking! He said he is going back out to watch a game, but just wanted me to know. I sit outside on the porch to keep an eye on him...nothing...too bad.

I was too busy to get many pics, but here are a few.


Mackenzie and Elijah (who of course became like the Camp Bandina Mascot)...

With his friend Trent...


Our group...



Us at the Hawaiian Banquet Friday night...


Sadie is my Golden Child. I don't know if she is just the most awesome baby or if its just that she's living with a 2 year-old (which can make anyone look good), but I could have 6 more of her. I had a great week with Elijah. He just lets those kids throw him around and just goes with he flow. His imagination is just booming now. I have a lot of fun playing with him. One day while I fed Sadie we had a birthday party for a giraffe and all had imaginary hats, had a tea party, gifts, and sang Happy Birthday!
In other Elijah news: He peed in the potty today. I was drawing his bath and he had taken off his diaper. I said "Wanna tee tee in the potty?" He actually said yes, walked up to the big potty and peed! So much for the $40 kids potty I bought! Oh well. I made a big deal telling him how proud of him I am, we high fived and he got 2 M&M's. I told him if he pees in the potty in the morning we can call Bibby. We'll see...
Better go. More later.


1 comment:

Janice said...

Hope he gets to call Bibby... janice