Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 22, 2010

This week's menu...

This week will be a little different. I have a menu for every night this week (except Thursday when I work and Beau prefers leftovers) but realized after talking to Beau, I'm not going to have to cook every night because of youth activities. So let's get to it...
Sunday we had small groups for lunch and leftovers for dinner
Tonight we're having Chicken and Dumplings. I am making a double batch and taking some to a girl from work who just had a baby. I'm also sending some Amish bread. Sounds good, especially since it got cold today.
Tuesday I think we'll have Mexican Pasta Skillet
Wednesday is a fundraiser for the youth at church - Philly Cheese Steaks!
Thursday I work
Friday Beau may be going to a youth rally so I'll have to wait to see if I'll cook.

Chicken and Dumplings (this recipe is actually from Weight Watchers, which I've never done, but I came across the recipe and it is De-Lish!) I'm going to use the measurement from the recipe, but I just throw in however much I want really, be flexible (that means you, Aimee!)

1 lb skinned, boned chicken breast cut into pieces
*side note: I prefer shredded chicken. I put a whole chicken (on sale at HEB) in the crock pot last night on low with about 1/2 C water and viola...juicy shredded chicken.
1 C slivered onions
1 C thinly sliced celery
2 C sliced carrots
2 T flour
3 1/2 C broth
1 tsp dry thyme
1/4 pepper
1 C biscuit mix
1/3 C milk
Saute onions, celery, carrots and chicken (if using raw pieces) in EVOO until tender. Sprinkle in flour. Cook 1 minute. Gradually add broth, stiring well. Add 1/2 tsp thyme and pepper. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 mins, stirring occasionally. (if you used cooked, shredded chicken add it with thyme and pepper)
Combine 1/2 tsp thyme, biscuit mix and milk in small bowl, stir well. Drop by small spoonfulls into soup. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 mins.

I have another tip. I make this in double batches every time I make it. I don't double the broth though. Once its cooked (before the dumplings) I take half out and put it in a freezer bag or container and freeze it. Then I add the extra broth and continue making the soup. With the batch in the freezer you can do so much. Thaw it out overnight in the fridge and either add more broth and dumplings or a box of gnocchi to make soup again or use it to make Chicken Pot Pie with pre-made pie crusts. Or top with mashed pots for a Chicken Shepherd Pie. Or top with cooked Long Grain and Wild rice for a Savory Chicken and Rice. The possibilities are endless. Well, not endless, but there are a lot.

Okay, I don't have time to post the Mexican Skillet Pasta. I'll try to do that tomorrow. I need to go get my Amish bread started. Happy Cooking!

No comments: