Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 14, 2009

To Train or Not to Train...

Okay, so many of you know I'm in the middle of a dilemma. Elijah shows all the signs of being ready to potty train. He even went one day and "went number one" in the potty all day. Now he totally over going in the potty. Two things that let me know he's ready and just not doing it:
1. He told me "I'm too busy to tee tee in the potty"
2. He was naked after his bath a few days ago and needed to "go". Instead of going in the potty like I asked him to he went and got a diaper, peed in it and then brought it to me.

I have two things I haven't tried:
1. Cheerios as target practice
2. Sticker chart

I offered the stickers once and he didn't care. He doesn't care about candy or prizes. I have one thing I can try that I think will work. I heard from a lady who had a very smart 3 year old. She said she tried everything and nothing worked. Her son knew it was easier to just go in his diaper (just like Elijah). She said she finally just quit buying diapers and told him there were no more diapers and the child was like "okay, I guess I just have to go in the potty". The problem with this method is if by chance Elijah's not ready there's no going back. I can't say "oh, I found some more diapers" and try again later. He'll never trust that they're really all gone.

On the other hand should I just let it go. He turns 3 in a few weeks. His preschool doesn't require that he's potty trained and its actually nice not to have to worry about taking him to the potty (esp when I'm out by myself with both kids). It would be nice to save that money, though.

So let me know what you think. There's a place to the right to vote...

No comments: